What's in a name? Why Spoon Serendipity?




It really didn't take me long to come up with the name for this blog. I have suffered from battled anxiety, panic, agoraphobia, pain and fatigue for most of my adult life and even some in my childhood but not long after my fibromyalgia diagnosis I discovered the Spoon Theory and began to find support and encouragement in the Spoonie community. I knew that since it's such a huge part of my life, the word spoon would have to play in somehow.

Serendipity just immediately popped into my head. It's a word I've always felt a magnetism towards, since I read a book when I was a little girl called Serendipity about a sea creature. 

The actual definition of the word according to Merriam-Webster is: 
the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for; also :  an instance of this

Since fibromyalgia, anxiety and the agoraphobia have become such a huge part of my life, I've been forced to live differently. I've definitely found valuable and agreeable things I would have never sought out if not forced to see things from a new perspective. There's been multiple instances of seeing how blessed I've been to be slowed down a little, not in the typical rat race. 

I work from home. I do so out of necessity but I think I would choose to even if it wasn't my only option. I get to be at home with my child. I don't have to spend money on fancy work clothes or commute every day. I may not get much sleep at night or have a good sleep schedule because of pain but it's extra time to think, journal, pray, craft and do things that allow reflection and quiet. I will have to choose a partner carefully, whoever (if there is one) chooses to partner with me will have to be an incredibly strong and wonderful person. I have to be extra cautious and that's never a bad thing for the future. So, see... silver linings.

To me, the name for my blog represents finding a silver lining, learning to live happily somehow even with chronic illness and just trying to make the best of things. Finding serendipity among the spoons. <3 :)



No comments:

Post a Comment